A high hemoglobin rely signifies an above-typical level of the iron-containing protein in purple blood cells. Hemoglobin (on the entire abbreviated as Hb or Hgb) is the oxygen-carrying a part of purple blood cells.
Hemoglobin, which offers purple blood cells their coloration, helps raise oxygen from the lungs to the the leisure of the body and carbon dioxide assist to the lungs to be exhaled.
The brink for a high hemoglobin rely differs a little from one scientific practice to 1 other. It’s on the entire defined as extra than 16.6 grams (g) of hemoglobin per deciliter (dL) of blood for males and 15 g/dL for ladies. In teens, the definition of a high hemoglobin rely varies with age and intercourse. Hemoglobin rely would possibly presumably perhaps also also fluctuate for that reason of time of day, how properly-hydrated you are and altitude.
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Register for free, and cease updated on look at advancements, health ideas and most up-to-date health issues, love COVID-19, plus expertise on managing health.
To make you with the most relevant and helpful knowledge, and realize which
knowledge is priceless, we would possibly presumably perhaps also mix your email and web pages utilization knowledge with
diversified knowledge we now grasp about you. Whenever you are a Mayo Clinic patient, this would possibly presumably perhaps also
consist of protected health knowledge. If we mix this knowledge with your protected
health knowledge, we’re going to get grasp of a method to treat all of that knowledge as protected health
knowledge and would possibly presumably only protest or order that knowledge as home forth in our take a look at up on of
privateness practices. You’re going to also opt-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe hyperlink within the email.
Nov. 29, 2022
- Hemoglobin. Lab Assessments Online. https://labtestsonline.org/thought/analytes/hemoglobin/tab/take a look at/. Accessed Dec. 30, 2018.
- Blood fundamentals. American Society of Hematology. http://www.hematology.org/Patients/Fundamentals/. Accessed Dec. 30, 2018.
- Blood exams. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-issues/blood-exams. Accessed Dec. 30, 2018.
- Working out blood counts. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. https://www.lls.org/managing-your-cancer/lab-and-imaging-exams/thought-blood-counts. Accessed Dec. 30, 2018.
- Tefferi A. Medical manifestations and prognosis of polycythemia vera. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Dec. 30, 2018.
- Tefferi A. Diagnostic capacity to the patient with polycythemia. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Jan. 3, 2019.